Keep in mind that the essential point of research is to copy. People cannot establish the result based all on his/her own contribution. Innovation is to develop something INITIAL, hence people need to know what has been studied previously.
- Collect the classical literature as much as possible, mainly from books, unless the materials cannot be found in the books;
- BROWSE through the literature rapidly to the previous work, e.g.,
- What problem is to be tackled
- What the system is
- What assumptions are utilized
- What method is presented
- What the conclusions are
- Find out what has not been studied yet
Skills in the part:
- Browse books quickly, follow what you have learned, go further step. People usually do not know whether one book is worthy to spend time on, hence it is advisable to read quickly until you can tell by yourself
- Find the classical books. They are generally well-written
- Filter out obsolete, badly-written literature. Also filter out the unpromising direction and henceforth the relative literature
- Do not try to learn theory from collections of conference papers
- To find the books, Google the recommended Reading List
- When the details seem hard to understand, just keep reading QUICKLY AND REPEATEDLY. It will be helpful to do some theoretical accumulation in the spare time
To summarize, the key point of this part is to save time. Try to complete this part quickly, then you can be self-motivated henceforth
The main result to browse books is to learn what is the general methodologies that have been developed in this area.
After Part I is completed, collect as much as possible IEEE papers related, and then READ through some of them to learn what is the method to do research in this area. Then apply these specific technical skills to problem you are working with.
Keep in mind that the essential point of research is to copy。People cannot establish the result based all on his/her own contribution.
The second step is to find the promising subjects in the direction people want to work on. Note that people cannot expect too much knowledge in this place.
Skills in this part:
- Afflatus is the key point in this part
- To be in a creative and in-distractive environment is required. For example, to go to the park, e.g., in the forest, or along the quiet river, could be an attractive option
As long as the directions are found, people can be self-motivated, and go further step spontaneously.
- The title: include the direction and the main subject of this piece
- Details of the piece
- Reference: literature title and page